For those who care for an elder or are in need of care themselves we have compiled the following resources:
(Click on blue text below to download information or go to website.)
“The Caregiver’s Handbook”, a companion resource to the PBS documentary “Caring for you Parents”
– Additional worksheets and resource for “The Cargiver Handbook”
• “Handbook for Long-Distance Caregivers” from the Family Caregivers Alliance
Websites with links to local elder care services and resources
• Eldercare Locator
Public service of the US Administration on Aging. Tool to help you find resources in your community that provide information and assistance for older adults and caregivers.
• A Place for Mom
– Large collection of articles on aging, health and elder care.
– Free-to-you service: a Senior Living Advisor will assess you or your loved one’s lifestyle, care needs, budget, and preferences for senior living, recommend senior living facilities base on your needs, schedule tours, and offer guidance on making the move.
State and Federal Agencies
California Department of Health Care Services
Links to Caregiver resources, Long-Term Care Alternatives, Veterans, Medi-Cal, Denti-Cal and more
• Administration on Aging, US Department of Health and Human Services
Information on services and programs designed to help older Americans live independently in their homes and communities.
Governmental Resources for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment
“Substance abuse, particularly of alcohol and prescription drugs, among adults 60 and older is one of the fastest growing health problems facing the country. Yet, even as the number of older adults suffering from these disorders climbs, the situation remains underestimated, underidentified, underdiagnosed, and undertreated.”
Source: SMHSA/CSAT Treatment Improvement Protocol Series, No. 26
• DHCS Substance Use Disorder Services
Phone Number: (916)-322-7012
• DHCS Mental Health Services
Phone Number: (916)-322-7445
• Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator, a confidential and anonymous source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the United States or U.S. Territories for substance abuse/addiction and/or mental health problems